Reviews and Awards
American Reference Books Annual
Everything You Need to Know to Succeed Like a Pro
Each concise volume in the Career Launcher series explains all the ins and outs professionals need to know to succeed in a particular industry. Perfect for recent graduates or seasoned workers looking for an inside edge to jump-start their career, these essential books provide key facts and concepts in simple, conversational language. Written with an insider's perspective, they detail the history, practices, standards, and jargon of the industry and highlight vital information, facts, and trends. Each book includes a foreword written by a successful professional, an introduction, and an index. Their compact format makes these indispensable guides perfect to keep nearby on a desk or in a briefcase for easy reference.
- Industry History—a capsule history of the industry from its earliest days to the present
- State of the Industry—an overview of the current state of the industry, statistics on employment, wages, profits, and current trends and possible future trends, as well as important technology, key conferences and events, and major players or industry forces
- On the Job—a breakdown of key jobs in the industry, what role they serve, and how they coordinate with other positions
- Tips for Success—tips for establishing a positive, professional reputation, doing a good job, and planning a career path
- Talk Like a Pro—an extensive, in-depth glossary of industry jargon, defining key terminology, phrases, concepts, and business language
- Resources—a look at key publications, Web sites, schools, training programs, and other resources to get training or manage your career.
Special features include:
- Best Practices—capsule descriptions of key industry practices
- Everyone Knows—essential information that everyone in the field should know
- Fast Facts—handy tidbits of information and statistics
- Keeping in Touch—tips for effective business communications and networking
- On the Cutting Edge—state-of-the-art technology or emerging industry trends
- Problem-Solving—case studies of common industry problems or hypothetical crises and their resolution
- Professional Ethics—case studies of ethical dilemmas and their resolution, highlighting the importance of ethical conduct for building a strong career.